Author's note: I really appreciate all the advice everyone gave me on which Android smartphone to choose and welcome more opinions on the same. One of the more common replies I got was "Just choose one and go for it. The more you check things out, the more confused you will get." They are right, of course. And if you think choosing a mobile is taking me long, let me assure you... choosing my first car took the better part of eight months and even caused a company to cancel production of a car!
Chapter 1: The Criteria
|The DDLJ garden pose!|
When the need to get a car for everyday purposes finally overcame my willingness to compromise, there were a few things that were a priority to me when I started making my list.
1. A petrol engine: Irrespective of the sky-high rates petrol is going, the fact is that I would never be doing 40kms a day (or it's monthly equivalent) on a regular basis.
2. Mileage: It does matter.
4. Ease of driving: More on this later.
5. Looks: I know it is subjective for all but then, have you see the new StingRay? Who designs such boxy models anymore?!
6. Not a Maruti: In 2011, if you had asked me, I would have blindly said 'Maruti only', citing the 'gazillion service centers-cheap parts-Indian' trinity. Somewhere down the line, my priorities changed. Exclusivity became a major factor.
7. Price: below 7 lakhs. But I was willing to compromise for quality.